Leading the way to a healthier lifestyle for our family may not be something we think about often. But now, more than ever, there’s a need to revitalize some healthy habits among our loved ones. In the post-pandemic days in which we live, many families are finding a need to undo some health failures from the last couple of years. On a recent plane trip, my husband sat next to a gentleman who had gained 100 pounds over the course of the pandemic. Ouch!
Leading the Way to a Healthier Lifestyle Tips
Let’s think through some ways, we as grandparents can step up and lead the way back to some healthier habits.
- Organize a regular family health lesson. Make it simple and easy. An hour on a Saturday once a week or month to talk about a type of exercise, health journaling, medical awareness, or lifestyle choices. Have family members take turns being teacher, including middle school age and up children. Make it fun while learning.
- Plan a meal to share with extended family and talk through the healthy preparation and recipes you serve.
- Find a local walking/hiking trail and plan an afternoon family adventure.
- Subscribe to an online exercise program and invite the family over regularly to participate. Again, make it fun. Maybe a dance exercise program?
- Appoint a Family Health Inspirationist. This word is mostly used regarding belief and Scripture, but find the person who is most into staying healthy in the family and ask them to help inspire the rest of the family by sharing inspirational quotes, facts, or suggestions for healthy activities. Email or texting crosses all age groups and this could be a great way of knitting the family together in a common goal of staying strong and healthy.
Take the lead, grandparents. Grab one of these ideas or come up with your own to encourage healthy change and growth among the family you love so much!
For more grandparent-focused encouragement and resources, subscribe to our Free monthly newsletter today!